Job Opening: Furniture Production Manager
Help Lewiston thrive by supporting the smooth, safe operations and day to day management of the Healthy Homeworks furniture factory, which gives those without beds the opportunity to build them for free. 30 hours/week, onsite in downtown Lewiston’s Pepperell Mill.
- Manages and replenishes materials inventory (lumber, hardware, consumables).
- Hand-selects lumber from established vendors and transports it to the factory.
- Orders online and picks up mattresses and other materials locally.
- Orders online and accepts delivery of all other inventory.
- Manages the milling and production schedule to satisfy factory workflow for both retail sales and Build-a-Bed workshops.
- Evaluates, cuts, and mills lumber as needed.
- Keeps all power and hand tools in safe condition and good repair.
- Supervises skilled volunteers who have been previously trained by Healthy Homeworks staff; volunteers are trained in milling, assembly, and finishing.
- Ensures the quality of all milled pieces and finished products.
- Delivers and sets up finished products up to 75 miles from Lewiston, ME using Healthy Homeworks delivery van; packs and ships finished products outside of the delivery area.
- Continuously looks for ways to improve operations and expand the product line.
- Creates and maintains jigs that increase the quality and consistency of the milled components.
- Designs and builds prototypes of new products to meet customer demand.
- Assists Education Director when workshops are in session, helping to teach and support students who are unfamiliar with woodworking.
- Maintains safety standards in the workshop and assembly areas, consistent with OSHA regulations.
Skills & Talents
- Experience working in a wood shop setting and using a variety of power tools, such as table saws, chop saws, routers, sanders, drills, and planers.
- Excellent eye for detail, with a solid aesthetic sense of design and quality.
- Experience evaluating and properly handling lumber.
- Good computer skills; able to effectively use spreadsheets and online ordering systems.
- Comfortable driving a 20’ passenger van, loaded with people, lumber, or finished goods.
- Naturally empathetic nature, with a welcoming and positive attitude.
- Ability and desire to meet people where they are, regardless of cultural, religious, gender, socioeconomic, or mental health backgrounds, and to engage in a genuine, supportive manner.
- A valid US driver’s license and responsible driving history.
- Must be over 18 years of age.
- Must be able to lift, load, and carry lumber, up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; continued education (including apprenticeship and vocational experience) in woodworking, fabrication, furniture design and/or production, or carpentry preferred.
Hours, Compensation, and Terms
- Rate of pay is $15/hour, 30 hours per week; employee at will. Health insurance and other benefits not provided.
- Healthy Homeworks is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals who have participated in our programs are especially encouraged to apply.